Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pictures With Their Pants on Fire


I chose to analyse the CBS New Years Eve photograph because I found it particularly interesting. I am interested in advertising and marketing and the tactics employed in this photoshop certainly deal with that concept. The picture originated on New Years Eve, December 2000. During a video clip of a CBS anchor reporting on the event, CBS photoshopped an NBC logo in the background out and replaced it with a CBS logo instead. This photo was manipulated in an attempt to not do any inadvertent advertising for a rival network, NBC. I do not believe the manipulation was harmful at all; however I can see how some people think it is. I personally feel that they are simply making their broadcast look slightly better, not making any permanent or significant changes. I understand that some people would be irritated that advertising space NBC bought was taken away by CBS on their broadcast but in my opinion it was CBS's broadcast so they have the right to do whatever they want with it.
Merry blogging,
Travis "You know you want me" Halff

3 comments:

  1. Travis,
    I appreciate your opinion on the topic. I too, do not believe that covering the other station's logo created a significant problem. I hope that your pursuit of interest in advertising and marketing goes well. Oh, I also really like your blog title - way to capture the audience.
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it's not a huge problem. In fact, I found it pretty funny that they would go to such lengths to not advertise for NBC. I wonder how often this happens on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Travis. This editing does not seem harmful to me.

    ReplyDelete